Kingston Council’s new dementia nursing home was criticized by opposition advisers as “a bit of a mess”

According to opposition advisers, Kingston Council’s new dementia nursing home is “a little messy at the moment.”

Opposition leader conservative Kevin Davis of the Response and Recovery Committee (Sept. 30) said last night that he could not support a scheme “that at least doesn’t do something for some of the local residents,” and criticized the team. plan to start construction work “when you don’t know what you’re going to do with the building”.

In May of this year, the board unanimously voted to seek an outside commercial operator to manage the home it was already building due to the additional costs of the coronavirus and changes in the care market.

He previously had a goal to manage the home itself, and in November he looked at further work to develop options for a city-owned commercial company to manage the home.

For more London news and features straight to your inbox, sign up for our newsletter here.

Green Party adviser Sharron Sumner said the project was “out of control” and asked if there were any guarantees to prioritize Kingston residents.

He also said that the additional costs caused by the coronavirus and changes in the care market “could have been foreseen when it was decided that they would be provided by an external provider.”

The cost of the project has now risen to £ 17,343 million.

In May, it was estimated to cost £ 15.554 million.

Responding to concerns, Council Leader Caroline Kerr stressed the need for a dementia nursing home in the district.

He said, “This project has a huge benefit to the community as it produces and delivers that kind of quality care in Surbiton, in the heart of our district.”

He said the nursing home business case when the construction contract was signed in December 2019 “was based on the fact that we only ran a nursing facility, essentially a start-up and even before Covid we know it was very demanding.

“The pandemic has increased risk beyond a point where we felt it was prudent to continue. Markets have changed. We have a duty to uphold the highest levels of financial prudence and the business decisions we make on this board must be kept within the parameters of what is financially prudent. “

He added: “Due diligence has led us to look for an outside operator who may have a lot of facilities and a lot more resilience. What I think we have done with this is to protect RBK’s business position, it will provide a financial return for public finances in general, and I think it is justified. “

Regarding questions about the Kingston resident bed guarantee, agent Helen Coombes said blocking bed reservations risked the council paying twice.

He said: “There are a number of other places within Kingston that [residents] He can choose. They can choose to have a place outside Kingston that is closer to their family, they can choose based on a particular intervention or the particular size of the house they want to live in, and all of these things, particularly when it comes to dementia, are really important.

Have your say on this story by commenting here

“Even if you block reserved beds, which should be subject to a procurement exercise, there is a doubt that if people then choose to live elsewhere – which they have a right to do – you are paying twice for a bed. So. it is very important that we protect this choice directive. “

The councilors decided to review and agree the final terms with the bidders of the house and increase the cost of the project with nine votes in favor and two against.

Construction of the house remains on time and is expected to be completed in July 2021.

If you have a story or information for us from this part of London, please email sian.bayley@reachplc.com

.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.