The government is continually reviewing and updating its travel directives as the coronavirus pandemic continues to change and evolve.
Airlines and airports have introduced numerous measures to prevent the spread of the virus and to ensure the safety of passengers and staff.
Although the rules may differ from one company to another, the general directives include wearing face covers, maintaining a distance of two meters from others and, if possible, avoiding surfaces in contact.
AT Heathrow, face covers are now mandatory at all times in terminals, for anyone aged six and over, and the airport has set up 600 hand disinfection stations everywhere.
Find out how to get more SurreyLive news straight to your inbox HERE.
For more information on safety measures at Heathrow, including British Airways guidelines and the latest government flight regulations, see below.
Security at Heathrow
Passengers six years of age or older must wear a face mask at all times Heathrow terminals, it is therefore recommended to bring your own.
However, if you forget to bring a mask or blanket, which can be as simple as a scarf or bandana that ties behind your head, there will be some at the airport.
In addition to regular reminders of social distancing and hand disinfection stations, the airport has implemented the following security measures:
- Plexiglas barriers have been installed in the security zones;
- Colleagues will wear face covers and PPE;
- There is advanced cleaning technology;
- The airport will offer a “contactless travel experience” to departure and arrival using Heathrow and airline applications;
- There will be a dedicated team of doctors and PHE officials at the airport.
Heathrow started last month test thermal screening technology in the immigration hall of Terminal Two and in the registration area of Terminal Five.
British Airways Travel Guide
British Airways will require passengers to wear a face covering at all times, both at airports and on their flights.
It is recommended to bring more than one blanket for the duration of your trip, as a mask lasts “up to four hours”.
On board, the flight crews will offer you an individual protection pack, containing an antibacterial wipe and a disinfectant hand gel.
The airline company advised passengers to minimize their movements in the cabin as much as possible and to respect the rules of social distance.
For more regulations, take a look at the following list of “things to remember”:
Check in with the app or online and download boarding passes;
You will be offered a new food service that will reduce physical contact with staff;
Do not travel if you have experienced symptoms of COVID-19 in the past seven days and are still having a high temperature;
Try to keep hand baggage to a minimum in order to move around the airport more easily;
Special meals, including meals for children, are not available. Please bring your own food if necessary;
Arrive three hours before long-haul flights and two hours before short-haul flights.
Latest government travel tips
The Ministry of Transport has issued the following advice to passengers traveling by air:
- Keep your distance when traveling – two meters apart if possible;
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after touching surfaces;
- Use hand sanitizer if hand washing facilities are not available;
- Be careful not to touch your face, mouth or eyes;
- You must wear a face cover on board an air service in England, although some people are exempt;
- You must wear a face cover at the airport;
- You must remove your covering face if requested by the police, border control or airport security;
- Before booking a flight, understand the public health requirements of your destination country;
- If possible, check in online to avoid any personal contact at the airport;
- You are strongly encouraged to check the baggage in the hold of the aircraft and to minimize hand baggage;
- Enter the airport yourself, unless you are traveling with members of your household or support bubble;
- During the flight, you should sit as much as possible and use contactless payment if possible.
For more information, click on here.