Man City a class apart as they walk past Newcastle in the FA Cup to keep triple hopes alive – Simon Bird

Deposited as Premier League champion, but Pep Guardiola’s look is hungry for a treble.

Raheem Sterling’s goal finished Newcastle and tied the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal.

The pain felt when seeing rivals Liverpool hired as the best in the country this week has been channeled into a completely dominant demolition on Steve Bruce’s side.

Birthday boy Kevin De Bruyne opened the scoring at the end of a first half during which Newcastle was barely kicked, that was the lingering glow of City-hogging .

They are chasing a seventh FA Cup to add to the Carabao Cup they have already banked this season, plus a Champions League quarter-final against Real Madrid is on the horizon in August.

Kevin de Bruyne sent Manchester City back to the penalty spot

With the Liverpool celebrations still resonating, there was no sulking from City.

They were so effective that it was an insult to call it a contest, launching a relentless assault on Newcastle goal from the start.

By the time Kevin De Bruyne managed to kick off the 36th minute penalty, they had an astounding 86% possession.

Recalled central defender Fabian Schar unnecessarily pushed Gabriel Jesus while a cross was floated by Kyle Walker.

The city was relentless in St James’ Park

Referee Lee Mason kicked and De Bruyne came close to home for his 15 of the season at his 29th birthday.

“We should have scored more,” said De Bruyne. “We had some penalty issues this year. The gaffer asked me to step up and I’ve scored two now. “

There were two different versions of football on display. City pressing relentlessly forward, devouring the ball. They were terribly tenacious and hooked to get it back.

Sterling secured the victory by scoring the second after 68 minutes after a relentless move of two assists and 90 yards.

Aymeric Laporte sent a 50-meter cross pass to the submarine Phil Foden, who brilliantly collected it and exploded to free Sterling.

Raheem Sterling’s goal sealed the win

The English winger intervened from the left and completed a superb 25-meter shot in front of Karl Darlow.

A minute earlier, United sub Dwight Gayle missed a simple opportunity to level up the game without deserving it. Allan Saint-Maximin gave him a tap six meters away, but he turned it on.

Bruce’s team had to take a chance to continue scoring. Andy Carroll made his only shot on target, which dribbled in Bravo’s arms, and their miserable record for not reaching a semi-final since 2005 will remain.

Gabriel Jesus, Riyad Mahrez and Sterling (twice) came closer in the first half. After the break, City finished strong and could have had four or five.

Bruce’s tactical switch, passing five in the back, failed and they were slightly brighter after the break.

FA Cup dream in Newcastle over for another year

Mirror the best football stories

He said, “Who knows if we have leveled this opportunity. We had to be more aggressive and better with the ball. For long periods, it didn’t look like a tie.

“We are frustrated and disappointed. In the first semester, we were too sterile and passive. It’s a very good Man City team.

“The four big guns remain in the competition. The gap between the top and the bottom is widening. The big clubs continue and win. “

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.