The PGA Tour appears to be ready to resume operations, but it will not stop in Canada.
Multiple sources have confirmed that the RBC Canadian Open has been canceled for 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the official announcement of PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan could arrive as early as Wednesday.
At the same time, a report in Golf Digest stated that the PGA Tour will resume play with the Charles Schwab Challenge in Fort Worth, Texas. This event will take place from June 11 to 14, which was the date of the Canadian championship, and will probably take place without fans.
The cancellation of the RBC Canadian Open was not a big surprise. The main reason would be the travel restrictions in place that would make it difficult for players and officials to enter Canada.
Other provincial and municipal regulations also prevented any preparation for the tournament, including proper conditioning of the course or on-site construction.
A number of sources said that PGA Tour officials should hold a conference call for Canadian players as well as stakeholders on Wednesday to provide details.
The last time the Canadian Open was canceled was in 1944 due to the Second World War. The tournament was scheduled to be played at St. George’s G&CC in Toronto and is now expected to host the 2021 edition.
As RBC loses crown jewel with Canadian Open, Golf Digest report says second bank-sponsored event, RBC Heritage, will be relaunched and played from June 18-21 at Hilton Head, SC This event was originally scheduled for April 16-19 and had been canceled.